10. November 2011 12:30
Welcome to my first blog article, which happens to be written on my new iPhone 4S without a keyboard thanks to the help of Siri and speech to text. No desktop or laptop computer was used in the creation of this article and no apps were harmed in the process. Now for my top five favorite new features:
1. Siri is your new personal digital assistant. Siri is so much more than a speech to text recognition engine. It is the next generation. It is the next dimension. I remember when I got my first smartphone, the Palm Treo, and how complex it was to create something as simple as a new calendar event. I literally wished I could just talk to my phone and tell it to create a new event for tomorrow at 5 PM. Now, Siri does just that.
2. Reminders.app never forget anything again. This is one of my favorite new apps! I once carried a folded sheet of paper and post-it notes in my pocket with all my reminders. Now this app takes it to the next level and will remind me of my task at a certain time or location. The reminders based on location are amazing. For example, I can ask Siri to remind me to take my lunch when I leave the house or when I get to work to call Bob. This is what makes Siri seem so lifelike.
3. iMessage, therefore I am. Apple is now getting into the text messaging game and making it ridiculously easy to use. No configuration required and it works on the iPod touch and iPad. iMessage supports delivery receipts and read receipts, if they are enabled, but the killer feature is group messaging. Also Siri will be happy to read your new text messages aloud and create new ones hands-free (you know where I'm going with this one).
4. Camera and photos. This is the beginning of the end for the point-and-shoot digital camera. The iPhone 4S rivals most digital cameras with its eight megapixels and take 1080p HD video. It will edit your photos and videos, as well as GPS tag and upload them to your favorite social network! What digital camera lets you do all that? RIP digital point-and-shoot you served us well.
5. Speed demon. Every new iPhone gets faster and faster and the iPhone 4S is no exception. It has the new dual core A5 processor, which Apple claims is "up to two times more power and up to seven times faster graphics". I definitely agree, all my apps load faster and feel much more responsive.
My Conclusion: I love my iPhone 4S. When I hear people complaining that the 4S isn't that much different from the iPhone 4, ask them if they can "write" an entire blog article on their phone without using a keyboard?