Philip Fibiger, VP of Engineering
Phil is a software engineering manager with significant experience in guiding engineers, project leadership, and software design and implementation. Since joining Voalte in 2012, Phil has grown a small team into a world-class, distributed engineering organization. By successfully balancing technical investment with product delivery, he has led the transition to a semi-annual release cadence, shipping major software releases as well as new products on time across multiple feature sprint teams. Prior to Voalte, Phil led the engineering teams for the online division at Canonical, Ltd., the company behind Ubuntu Linux. He started his career at Dimensional Fund Advisors, where he managed web operations to help the company grow during his tenure from $35 to $120 billion in assets under management. Phil earned a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from Cornell University.
5 random things
- I am an avid saltwater fly fisherman. There’s no place I’d rather be outdoors than on a saltwater flat, casting to tailing redfish.
- My first computer was a TI-99, but the first computer I programmed was a Compaq 286 “luggable” suitcase computer.
- My wife and I once spent 30 days and 7,000 miles in the car traversing the United States on a road trip between jobs. If a relationship can handle that, it can handle anything.
- An unexpected joy of parenthood has been introducing my 4-year-old to all the cartoons of my youth, which have shown up on Netflix (“Voltron,” “Transformers,” “Spider-Man and His Amazing Superfriends”).
- I spent winters of my youth going winter camping with my scout troop. You don’t know cold until you’ve forgotten to pull your boots into your sleeping bag on a -15F night and then attempt to put them on the next morning.