When I was a Nurse Manager at a Magnet® hospital, one of the conferences I was excited to send my nurses to each year was the ANCC National Magnet Conference. This conference is held to share achievements, exchange ideas with nurses from around the country, and celebrate the work of Magnet facilities. Nurses who attended the conference always came back more energized and engaged in their nursing practice, with articles, research and new products to share with the rest of the team. Next week, I’m looking forward to attending the event myself for the first time.
This ANCC conference is the largest nursing conference in the United States, and will bring together more than 9,000 nurses and nursing executives in Houston from October 11 to 13, 2017. I’ll be part of the team representing Voalte and promoting the powerful opportunities that better communication brings to bedside nurses and their organizations.
In many ways, the process of upgrading caregiver communication aligns with the Magnet journey. Hospitals that embark on the Magnet accreditation process are dedicated to implementing superior nursing processes that lead to the highest levels of patient safety, quality of care and satisfaction. Similarly, Voalte customers are dedicated to implementing new ways of communicating and better clinical workflows that ultimately result in better quality of care.
Some of the benefits of Magnet status are also benefits we hear from Voalte customers after they upgrade from pagers or legacy phones to a comprehensive smartphone platform:
- Attract and retain top talent. Today’s nurses are accustomed to using smartphones in their personal lives, and want the same convenience in their nursing practice. Hospitals that provide the latest technology and tools to their staff are better positioned for recruiting and retention.
- Improve care, safety and satisfaction. Smartphones offer a unified device to exchange text messages, receive alarms and alerts, and integrate with the electronic medical record. The result is quicker response times to nurse calls, more efficient workflows and more satisfied patients.
- Foster a collaborative culture. Connecting nurses, physicians, therapists and support staff inside and outside the hospital facilitates closer care team collaboration and supports the interdisciplinary relationships that are so essential in the busy healthcare environment.
- Advance nursing standards and practice. Every nurse wants to spend as much time as possible engaging in patient care. More seamless communication enables the time savings that make that possible.
- Grow business and financial success. Healthcare is changing rapidly. Just because nurses and physicians have been communicating in the same way for 20 years doesn’t mean it should stay that way. The right technology solutions are imperative to business success.
I first recognized the power of putting smartphones in nurses’ hands when I was a Nurse Manager working on the pilot unit that implemented Voalte Platform. Staff embraced the smartphone technology, which lead to effective, efficient communication via texting. I quickly realized the advantages nurses gained when they no longer had to search up and down the halls for physicians, therapists and other nurses. Now, as Clinical Solutions Manager at Voalte, I am able to help our customers replace the cumbersome workflows they have used for many years with quick text messaging and instant alert notifications. These improvements in communication and clinical workflows allow the entire care team more time to focus on the needs of their patients and improve outcomes.
If your hospital could benefit from a communication upgrade or you would like to learn more about improving clinical workflows with our comprehensive smartphone platform, be sure to stop by Booth 2035 at the Magnet conference in Houston next week.
Angela Geraets, BSN, RN, CCRN, is Clinical Solutions Manager at Voalte.