This year’s Voalte User Experience conference, VUE18, was our best event ever! We hosted a sold-out crowd of nearly 200 Voalte customers, partners and staff at The Westin Sarasota, where we learned about some truly innovative clinical workflows and celebrated our tenth anniversary with fireworks over Sarasota Bay.
I’ve always said that Voalte customers are visionaries who lead the way in reimagining healthcare communication, and VUE18 proved it once again. Here are a few highlights:
- Jeff Lawrence explained how Spectrum Health is becoming a “real-time health system” by integrating the Epic EHR with Voalte Platform to send predictive alerts, such as MEWS and sepsis symptoms, for better patient outcomes.
- Mark Chamberlain and James Schnatterer walked us through the Clinical Logistics Center at Nemours Children’s Hospital, where 24-hour patient monitoring and care team communication via Voalte Platform connects two facilities in Delaware and Florida.
- Emma Brandon and Alejandro Carvajal explained how Mount Sinai Medical Center Miami Beach prepared to integrate the Epic EHR with Voalte Platform to create a patient-centric directory.
- Candice Friestad, this year’s Innovator of the Year, updated us on the strides Avera Health has made to reduce time to discharge an average of 25 minutes by sending discharge orders directly from the Meditech EHR to the appropriate caregiver, pharmacist, case worker and the rest of the care team.
- Kristi Henderson of Ascension delivered a keynote address on how technology is impacting the healthcare delivery system from a quality, safety, efficiency and cost perspective today and into the future.
- Jeremy Meller shared details from Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta’s Mobile Clinician initiative, showing how integrating Voalte Platform with Epic Rover has cut time to administer medication in half.
- Carol Steltenkamp and Christina Bevevino of University of Kentucky HealthCare discussed their integration of Lightning Bolt physician scheduling with Voalte Platform, which reduced time to reach a provider from 8:13 minutes to only 1:01 minute.
- Peter Chang shared plans for a coordinated care center at Tampa General Hospital, with predictive analytics that recommend actions to reduce delays in patient progression, predict and prevent risk, and coordinate care.
While all of these stories were inspiring, for me the most moving moment of the conference was when Candice Friestad reminded us why care team communication is so critical. Over the past year, Avera has been working on connecting more than 1,000 physicians across the geographically dispersed system with Voalte Me. Only days after getting physicians connected at one of Avera’s more remote facilities, a man presented in the Emergency Room with an active heart attack, or STEMI. The ED doctor saw that a Cardiologist was online, and sent him a secure text message via Voalte Me with a photo of the patient’s heart rhythm. The Cardiologist immediately sent a helicopter for the patient, who fortunately survived. As Candice said, “In situations like this, communication really does impact life and death, and I think we may have saved a life there.”
All of us at Voalte take our mission to reimagine healthcare communication very seriously, and we are honored to play a part in connecting caregivers so they can provide the best possible patient care.
Trey Lauderdale is Founder and CEO of Voalte.