New Service Helps Healthcare Organizations Optimize Workflow Practices
Using Mobile Communication Technologies
SARASOTA, Fla. (March 31, 2015) Voalte®, the leader in healthcare communication technology, today announced the launch of Voalte Clinical Workflow Solutions℠, a new service dedicated to guiding healthcare organizations in planning and implementing practical workflow changes using mobile communication technologies. As one of its first projects, the Voalte Clinical Workflow Solutions team collaborated with the new UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay in San Francisco to implement an advanced clinical communication and alarm-management system.
As healthcare executives and IT leaders respond to increased regulatory demands and a strong need to manage costs, Voalte Clinical Workflow Solutions helps identify and correct costly communication inefficiencies. It also focuses on implementing advanced alarm-management systems that position healthcare organizations to meet The Joint Commission’s National Patient Safety Goal on improving alarm safety at the point of care.
“We have spent six years deploying smartphones to over 50,000 caregivers in hospitals throughout the country,” said Voalte Founder and CEO Trey Lauderdale. “Now Voalte is uniquely positioned to offer both a robust smartphone platform and a comprehensive set of clinical services that help caregivers communicate seamlessly, and receive alarm and alert notifications efficiently.”
At UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay, Voalte Clinical Workflow Solutions coordinated the hospital’s technology vendors to create a state-of-the-art alarm and alert management system that sends caregivers context-aware information such as heart rate and other numeric parameters on their Voalte smartphones.
Voalte Clinical Workflow Solutions includes the following programs to assess patient flow and care collaboration processes, integrate and leverage new and existing technologies, and impact patient satisfaction and safety:
- Preliminary Assessment: An expert clinician and engineer assess current communication practices and technology, and provide insight on opportunities for improvement.
- Clinical Foundation: The team helps build a comprehensive Mobile Communication Strategy, starting with a controlled rollout of smartphones running Voalte One™ and Voalte Me™, and optimizing nurse-call and patient-monitoring systems.
- Alarm Analytics: An automated analysis of alarm load identifies trends and areas for improvement, and helps meet regulatory standards pertaining to alarm fatigue.
- Middleware Optimization: Evaluation and clinical implementation of a middleware solution and workflow configuration optimizes the routing of alarms and alerts to Voalte smartphones.
The Voalte Clinical Workflow Solutions team includes clinical and technical experts with decades of experience in nursing and healthcare technology. The following industry leaders manage the team:
- Candace S. Smith, MPA, RN, NEA-BC, Chief Nursing Officer at Voalte, began her nursing career in Buffalo, New York, at an 800-bed, Level 1 trauma center as a surgical ICU nurse. Over the years, she worked her way up to Nursing Director of a 30-bed Level 1 Trauma Center Operating Room department, Senior Director of Nursing, and VP and CNO in Rochester, New York.
- Eric Brill, General Manager of Voalte Clinical Workflow Solutions, has more than 17 years of experience in healthcare alarm and alert management systems. As VP of Clinical Applications at Ascom, he led the North American launch of a jointly developed middleware project between Ascom and GE Healthcare. Eric spent 13 years at Emergin, where he helped establish the company as the market leader in alarm management software.
Voalte develops smartphone solutions that simplify caregiver communication. As the only company to offer a comprehensive Mobile Communication Strategy, Voalte enables care teams inside and outside the hospital to access and exchange information securely. Voalte customers benefit from a solid smartphone infrastructure that supports their existing systems and expands to accommodate future technologies. Founded in 2008, Voalte is a privately held company based in Sarasota, Florida. Over 50,000 caregivers use Voalte products every day. For more information, visit voalte.com or follow @Voalte on Twitter.