I have the unique pleasure of interviewing Voalte customers to gather information for our case studies, white papers and blog posts. As the company’s copywriter, I enjoy getting a glimpse into the lives of the nursing leaders, staff nurses, support staff and providers who use Voalte smartphones every day. I especially like hearing how Voalte has made it easier for caregivers to connect with each other and respond to patients quickly. But these conversations also quickly veer into “unknown” territory.
When I ask, for example, “How much time have you saved by switching from pagers to smartphones?” I hear answers such as, “A lot!” When I ask how nurses connect with providers who work outside the hospital, I often hear a list of possible workflows rather than one streamlined process. It seems many healthcare leaders don’t know exactly how their current communication system is impacting their hospitals and staff. That makes it difficult to quantify the results after implementing an advanced solution.
“Know from whence you came. If you know whence you came, there are absolutely no limitations to where you can go.” – James Baldwin
Working with our Chief Nursing Officer, Candace Smith, I’ve come up with some questions every CIO and CNO should be able to answer before upgrading from legacy communication devices to a more advanced mobile communication platform. Our Mobile Communication Strategy eBook covers the following questions (and much more):
- How do you measure effective communication among your care teams?
- Are patients experiencing delays in treatment or care due to inefficient communication?
- Are nurses and providers exchanging text messages on unsecure personal smartphones?
- Do you know how much time providers spend on hold while someone tries to locate caregivers?
- Do your smart bed alerts and alarm middleware connect directly to the nurse on duty?
- Can your communication solutions connect to your electronic medical record?
When Voalte customers start asking these and other questions, they start getting answers that help them put systems in place that save time, improve workflows and impact patient care. Better yet, these answers give them an important reference that shows the positive impact of an efficient communication platform. Flip through the ebook today, and I’ll look forward to speaking with you in the future to help tell your success story.
Lori Uzzo is Senior Content Writer at Voalte.